Friday, October 5, 2012

What I’m Getting Wrong and What I’m Getting Right

Baby Belly!
Can anybody be perfect all the time? If you answer yes to this I simultaneously hate you and want to be your best friend. As I cruise into my second trimester (I know – its like I’m an expert now) here is what I know I’m doing right and what I know I’m doing wrong…

Wrong stuff is more fun so we will begin there. J






What I’m getting wrong

Stress Case!
  • I’m definitely not getting enough rest – I go to bed late, and though I snooze for what feels like 5 hours every morning, I’m still getting up early. And I pack my weekends with travel and stuff… except for this coming weekend – sleeping in!!
  • I’m not what you might call “relaxed”. I work full time in a new job (started two weeks after I found out I was pregnant), manage my 4-plex in Long Beach, deal with the world’s most incompetent property manager for my phoenix property, and am buying a condo to raise my little nugget in (closing escrow in a week or two) and the condo needs work.
  • I don’t clean anymore – seriously. Call a hazmat team, but I’m never doing dishes again! And when I’m out of things to wear because I haven’t done laundry I just go buy new things. (My baby daddy has really been stepping up to help me here… thank god!)
  • I don’t drink enough water – I’m supposed to have 60-80 oz a day… I think I’m at a good 30-40 oz. I’m trying – but water is so boring!
  • I’m not getting enough iron. I have some suggestions from my fabulous doctor on supplements for over a month now… haven’t purchased them. I know I should… but I haven’t.
  • I’m not getting enough fiber… ladies – you know what I mean here.
  • I drink too much liquid before going to bed (I average having to use the restroom 3 times a night… refer to the point of not getting enough sleep)
  • I’m not working out enough – but I am working out some!
  • Ok ok… I have to admit I have taken pre-approved sleeping aids a few times. I couldn't help it – I have a demanding job and when I‘m still staring at the ceiling at 2am I have to do something! This makes the most nervous of all…
  • Not spending enough time basking in the glory of the changes to my body… it still doesn't even quite feel real. My belly hasn’t popped and I haven’t felt the baby yet – every mom I know says once those two things happen it’ll all become much more magical.

What I’m getting right

Cinnamon Apple Cupcakes I baked!
  • I haven’t had a single sip of alcohol or a single cigarette since I found out (I actually haven’t had cigarettes for quite a while before I found out either)
  • I take my prenatal vitamins every day without fail
  • I've gone to every doctor’s appointment
  • I've been consuming more calories as required – but not too many! And I've been eating mostly healthy. I'm trying to make my calories work for me!
  • I stay within the allotted 200mg of caffeine per day (usually I drink less than that)
  • I've gained one pound so far (I lost weight in the first trimester not eating as much, then lost muscle mass not working out as much, then started working out again… so I went down 6 pounds and then started back up again)
  • I have been getting exercise. I hired a personal trainer. I’m making sure I’m doing the exercises appropriate for where I am in this pregnancy. (I’m not working out enough – but I’m doing the best I can)
  • I have read the books my friends have given me – and watched the movies!
  • I bake now!!!
  • I told the executives where I work before I accepted the offer – legally they could not do anything (I looked it up before I told them) – but I wanted to gauge the response tone for acceptance. I wanted to make sure I didn't walk into a non-accepting environment. Obviously they were very understanding and I love my job! (The remainder of my colleagues do not know yet…)
  • I am buying a condo to raise my little nugget in. My current neighborhood is not the safest, and I don’t have parking, washer/dryer or a dishwasher… all of the things I am told I will want when this little one is born. My new condo will have it all!
  • I chose to do this with a partner rather than do this alone. I realize more and more how grateful I am that someone is as excited about this little person growing inside of me as I am. (Mom and Dad are close, but baby daddy takes the cake.)
  • I am using highly rated coco butter/stretch mark cream twice a day (it suggests I use it 3 times a day, but where at work can I put lotion on my tummy?!)
  • I have started this blog! (This is my favorite thing – thank you for reading!)


4 Month Ultrasound - all is looking great! You can see my
little baby bump... and my little tattoo...
I had my four month check-up today and all was going perfectly! My weight is good. My blood pressure is good. My baby’s size is perfectly on schedule. The heartbeat was strong. The little nugget was moving and grooving in the ultra-sound. I’m cleared for downs syndrome and spinal bifida.
I may not be doing it all right but I feel like overall everything is going pretty darn smashingly and that makes me so happy! Kisses!





14 Week and 16 Week Baby Bumps


And the much awaited Belly Bump pics... They're not super big yet... I have a few weeks yet to pop!

14 Week Belly!

16 Week Belly!




No comments:

Post a Comment