Tuesday, October 2, 2012

How me and my baby daddy co-exist?

This was really tricky it the beginning.  We had mixed feelings for each other and it was strange, to say the least. We really were prepared to take a long break from each other, and then BAM! I'm perggers! I was conflicted because I would really want him to come over, and then after a day or two I would really want him to leave. Why? Several reasons I guess if I had to quantify it:




I really, really do!
  1. My place is ridiculously small, so being together means being together. There isn’t a lot of room for his things so when he’s there for a few days they just start to pile up. (I'm buying a new condo so hopefully this will get a little better.)
  2. We can get on each other's nerves. We're human and we have a past. I mean there is a reason we broke up... twice. We're working on it! (Stay tuned for our blog post on going to couples therapy.)
  3. I like “me time”. I don’t appreciate how much I like me time until I don’t get it for a few days. I go from fine to not fine in a short span of time. I’m working on that too. Mainly, I’m working on noticing it and just calling out that I need some alone time so it can still be friendly.
    1. I recognize there will be no more “me time” for a while once this baby is born. For some reason I feel like this will be different. And if not, then I will continue to work on myself. 
Disneyland!
We talked openly about these things. I guess I talked openly about   this. We agreed we would only see each other once a week. We agreed that day would be Sunday. We do Sundays together well.    We sleep in and usually go for a bike ride to get breakfast somewhere. We love to cruise through vintage shops, run errands, cook and watch movies/TV together. Sundays are awesome. We definitely play well together!

And "intimacy"? (Lots of people asked this question...) Well, we were still enjoying each other for a while. But it got too weird for me. I had really begun to view him as more of a friend, and combined with fatigue and morning sickness interest on my end had waned to an almost a negative number. That was definitely tough on him. I totally became the stereotype of the girl who got pregnant and then cut off the nookie... but hey - we're not even a couple! Although, we still sleep in the same bed when he stays over which definitely makes it even more confusing. We’re dealing with it. Seeing each other only once a week helps. 

Sometimes during the week we  see each other more, but if we do it too often I get a little unnerved  I guess this is something I have to consider before this little baby of ours is born. I’m going to want him around a lot… I think. I'm hoping as the months go on we find our better groove. 

Lil Devils boutique in LB
At this point we just play it by ear. Like last week he came over twice during the week so we decided to take the whole weekend off.  He came over because we had a doctor’s appointment on Thursday and then an appointment with the ultrasound tech on Friday. I do love having him there with me at those appointments. He gets so excited. And he holds my hand. I am so grateful to him for being awesome like that. It just reinforces that even though we aren't a good couple for now, we are good co-parents.

It’s not easy what we’re trying to do. But we’re doing the best we can!

Next Blog: Baby Daddy and I go to Couples Therapy - And we're not a couple!

No comments:

Post a Comment