Saturday, September 22, 2012

I change my mind... Sorry, no take backs!

I used one of those early detection pregnancy tests and I actually received two false negatives. I was on a family vacation up in a cabin in Northern CA and only two people knew I even might be pregnant. I took two tests - one at 6 days before my period was due and one at 4 days. But I was so scared someone would find me I did it quickly and hid the applicators in the bottom of my suitcase. I didn’t wait the full 3 minutes – wait the full three minutes!

So - they both only had one sad pink line - I was not pregnant... or so I thought. Of course I didn’t know they were false. So I told my baby daddy we were unsuccessful. He said he was relieved! He wanted to rethink everything. He had agreed to the whole crazy thing, in fact, because he thought it would help us get back together. Isn’t that something a chic would do?!  He said maybe we needed a break. We talked honestly and openly and I thought maybe we needed a break too. Maybe my desire to be pregnant had clouded my judgment just a little. I would start looking at sperm donors again. We would just be friends. 

Two pink lines!! I'm pregnant!
But then my period never came. My cousin kept berating me - Take another test! I had one test left (package of 3... random).  I was so conflicted at this point... did I want to be pregnant now... did I not?! I peed on the stick and left the applicator in my bathroom and went to distract myself on Facebook. 3 minutes later I went back to the bathroom... two pink lines!!  I fell to my knees shaking. I called my cousin right away - she was elated... I was elated... But how was I going to tell my baby daddy?!

I told him over the phone and he was definitely in shock. "I told you I was going to get this right on the first try" he said. I told he had 24 hours to wrap his brain around it and then I kind of needed him to get on board. He did - he really did. Things were a little awkward for about a week. Then we made a doctor’s appointment and my baby daddy started getting sentimental and now he’s very excited.

I guess now I feel like the universe decided that this baby was meant to be. We really were not going to try again. I was going to go the sperm donor route. But I am so excited to be pregnant. And I am so excited that it is with my baby daddy – we may never get back together but my child will know the love of a really remarkable father and that was what was so important to me all along!

6 Weeks - First ultrasound... 
our baby was the size of a lentil!

9 Weeks - Second ultrasound... 
our baby was now the size of a grape!

No comments:

Post a Comment