Thursday, November 1, 2012

Baby Daddy and I Pick a Last Name


Ok – so here might be one little bone of contention between us. The last name.

Terry and I as Sheldon
and Amy for Halloween
Typically we’d be married. I’d have his last name. Our son would have his last name. But this is not typical. We’re not married. In this rather unique scenario I am the primary, if you will. I was the primary person with this whole crazy idea. I will be the primary guardian.  I will have primary fiscal responsibility.

On the other hand, this is Terry’s son. He didn't sign on to just be a sperm donor, we’re co-parents. While the bulk of the responsibility will rest on my shoulders he will be a very active participant in this child’s life. And I don’t want to be the complete jerk that diminishes that in anyway.

Quite a dilemma!

We know the first name is Ethan (thanks to all of you that voted) so here are a few possibilities we've lightly discussed.

Middle name equals one of our last names:

  • Ethan Byrne McCullough
  • Ethan McCullough Byrne

Hyphenated Last Names with middle name:

  • Ethan Stuart McCullough-Byrne (middle name = my dad’s name)
  • Ethan Stuart Byrne-McCullough
  • Ethan Lee Byrne-McCullough (middle name = Terry’s middle name)
  • Ethan Lee McCullough-Byrne

Hyphenated Last names with no middle name:

  • Ethan McCullough-Byrne
  • Ethan Byrne-McCullough

Combined last name (we like this least of all):

  • Ethan Stuart McByrne
  • Ethan Lee McByrne

I am afraid that this poor kid is going to have to learn to write the longest name in the world! I mean, Katrina Maria McCullough already feels like a gazillion letters!

Leave comments or let me know on Facebook what you think we should do!

7 comments:

  1. My opinion may not be popular, but I think the baby should have your last name. I just know that I would hate not sharing a last name with my kids. My favorite out of your choices is Ethan Byrne McCullough (although I love Stuart as a middle name). That being said, I will love whatever you choose! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since my parents were never married, I have my Mother's maiden name. But I like the idea for the middle name to be his surname :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ethan should have your last name. Byrne for a middle name, if it makes everyone feel nicer. But definitely McCullough for his surname.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aesthetically speaking, I think Ethan Byrne McCullough is a beautiful name :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all of the above. Ethan Byrne McCullough - with Byrne as the middle and McCullough as the last name has my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me just get in line: Ethan Byrne McCullough -- a very nice ring to it, and the little guy gets both of your names. Win-win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ethan lee McCullough is my vote! It wasn't an option but I like that it has a true part of him and u.
    Xoxo!
    -AF

    ReplyDelete