Friday, April 18, 2014

The Blog Gets a New Voice

Ethan's SoCal Birthday!
Hello to everyone who reads this blog - you mean the world to me. You help to give me an outlet for a lot of emotion that may otherwise remain unprocessed. You give me motivation to organize these emotions and really turn them into action plans. It seems silly that a blog would be responsible for all that – but it’s true. Because I’ve made this journey so very public I feel the need to maintain composure, a positive attitude and clear forward direction. And because I feel the need to do it – I actually get it done. So thank you – truly, I thank you!

So – now it was time to put the old voice of the blog to bed. This is no longer “The Story of How My Ex Agreed to Get Me Pregnant.” It’s now a story of how Ethan is going kick Joubert’s butt! It’s now a story about overcoming some pretty unique obstacles… and some fairly common obstacles too!  Really – it’s a story about motivation, perseverance, triumph and love.

Plus, it’s kind of weird when you meet someone who also has a special needs kid and they’re like, “Oh – what’s your blogs name?!” And you pause before having to explain the reason the name of the blog means nothing about Joubert, or specials needs…

So the blog gets a new name… and new description and new URL!

URL Change

First the URL – changing it from "bestfriendandbabydaddy.blogspot.com”  to “ethanconquersjoubert.blogspot.com”. I feel like that this is a pretty self-explanatory change.

Updated Description

Ethan's NorCal Party
Next – I changed the description. This is now “The story of how a thirty-something single gal entered into a co-parenting agreement to have a baby with her ex-boyfriend, and then they got back together, and then had a baby with Joubert Syndrome, an incredibly rare neurological genetic disorder. Between being a new couple, new parents, and all that comes with a special needs baby, see how they're coping today!” Again – pretty self-explanatory.

New Name 

So now we need a new name. Yikes – so many good names were already taken! How to sum up not just Ethan and Joubert, but the journey of Terry and I as well. As rare as Joubert is, so is the arc of how all of us ended up a family. I was pondering names, thinking of quotes, reviewing other blogs, searching for inspiration and I remembered a song I wrote some years back – before Terry and I even became a couple the first time. The chorus goes: There’s laughter in the learning | as you choose where to go | and learning is accepting | there’s no straight and simple road. | Take hindsight for what it is | adjust and realign | Take life as it comes | and take your time.

Terry and I are on our much
needed weekend getaway
And suddenly it hit me – No Straight and Simple Road

I ran it by Terry and he agreed – it encompasses all that Ethan has gone through and will overcome, as well as everything Terry and I have been through and will overcome. So there you have it. There are long roads, windy roads, fun roads, painful roads, fast roads, beautiful roads, and crazy roads… but for me, for Terry and for Ethan – there is no straight and simple road.


We love you for continuing on in this next leg of our journey. Thank you – we love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment